Thursday, February 10, 2011

It's only diabetes



Okay. The pity party is over and we're moving full speed ahead. DJ is 100% herself again, including that awesome tween attitude I love so much. We have so much to be thankful for-beginning with DJ's health. Yes, I said her health.

Diabetes aside, DJ is a happy, healthy, smart, funny girl. She can play basketball and volleyball and she enjoys swimming and riding her bike. She can roll around on the floor with her dog and she can play with her friends like any other kid her age can do. DJ can laugh when she's happy and express to me when she's not-she does both quite often. The day DJ was diagnosed, as devastated as I was, I just kept thinking "thank God it's not cancer".

http://http//player.streamtheworld.com/_players/entercom/player/?id=KRSK

On my way in to work this morning I turned on the radio to 105.1 "The Buzz" and their annual "Valentine's Day for the CCA" radio telethon. If you are feeling down on your luck today, or if you think you have nothing to be grateful for, I suggest you take a listen. While diabetes sucks, it's inconvenient, sometimes painful and from time to time scares the hell out of us I fully realize that I am blessed that it's only diabetes.

I don't want to minimize the seriousness of DJ's disease, but if we continue to work hard to keep her healthy there is no reason she can't live a long, healthy life.

***Please forgive the formatting. I'm learning.

1 comment:

  1. I was listening to the Valentines Day for CCA and crying on my way to work this morning- I can't imagine going through what these parents/families do while one of them is fighting for their life every day. It is "Just" Diabetes, but sometimes, those scary times, I know it doesn't feel like it is "just" diabetes. You are a wonderful mom and caregiver.

    PS... I am so happy you are doing this blog :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete