Tuesday, October 4, 2011

One of those boring fitness blogs

So, when I started walking, and now when I run, I get the worst shin splints you can even imagine. If I try to run two days in a row, on day three I can hardly even walk. It is just.that.bad! I want to be able to run though; I've seen what it can do for a persons body and I know how I feel when I'm done. I am determined.

When I first started running I went out and got evaluated and bought the $100 that were supposed to help. They didn't. I went back to the store because they guarantee the fit, they offered to refund my money or let me keep them a while longer and gave me some tricks to try. They suggested some stretches and massaging my calves and shins with a foam roller.
The foam roller helps if I do it for about 15-20 minutes at night but I'm usually still in a lot of pain the next day. The foam roller also ends up being a kind of workout for my upper body too. This is good right? You would think... but not so much. I hate it. I love how the foam roller feels and I like to work out the upper body when it's what I feel like doing, not so much "just because I have to". So, I was looking for an alternative to the foam roller. Not only because it is a pain in my tush, but also because I need something to reach the little nooks and crannies around my ankles. So... I've been using this:


Yup, just an ordinary kitchen tool. The rolling pin has because my new workout bff. I can use this at night while I'm chillin' with DJ and it takes almost no effort. I can put as much pressure as I need on my calves, shins and ankles and the results have been amazing. I have been unable to run or walk agressively more than every three days. With the rolling pin massages I think I can up it to every other day comfortably.

This morning I ran almost completely pain free and it was amazing. I actually enjoyed my run this morning. I also took a friends advice and slowed down my run, just a little. The result was that I ran longer and I ran farther than I normally do. I was so excited and I actually stopped my run because I ran out of time and not because I was "just over it". I can't wait until Thursday so I can get ou there and do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment