Monday, October 3, 2011

Work Rant

I went online this morning with the intention of researching Housing Authority of Portland's name change, specifically the cost of it. What caught my attention istead was this:


First let me say, this article is about a woman who lives in the town I live in and I do not know her. I hope my house doesn't get egged. I also want to say that I'm in kind of a shitty mood today and not really in the mood to censor. So, here goes.

I work with homeless families in Washington County and many of them literally dream of they day they get a section 8 voucher; not because they are lazy or want an easy way out but because it will finally allow them that elusive thing called "affordable housing" and they can begin to get back on their feet.

Section 8 is a voluntary program for participants. There are requirements you must meet in order to receive a section 8 voucher and to keep it. Why should it not be voluntary for landlords as well? The county (whichever county holds the voucher) is responsible for inspecting the unit and making sure it meets their standard of cleanliness and safety, which may be above and beyond the standard for landlords or the general public. I've always thought a landlord must be crazy for not wanting to rent to section 8 recipients because it is guaranteed money each month, but if they were to be forced to participate in this program I think they should be compensated for whatever they need to do in order to meet the standard above the minimum.

One thing I saw several times in this article is "dream house/home". I have worked with many families looking for housing with a section 8 voucher. The only families I have seen lose that voucher because they ran out of time were those who were not willing to settle for something less than what they think they "deserve". Housing should be a right, not a privilege. I believe this whole heartedly. Unfortunately, in the land of the free there is not enough "affordable housing" (hereby referred to as "housing") and not enough funding, or too much mis-managed funding, to help all of our families/individuals in need. Even if there were enough housing, you can bet your sweet ass that it would not meet the criteria of "dream home" for many. You can get a decent place with section 8, but I can't imagine you will find the place you want to spend the rest of your days. <<< Unless you're retired, you shouldn't be looking for that anyway.

Section 8 is a stepping stone. It should be used as a tool to help a person/family become more self-sufficient in the long run. I fully realize the desire to give your kids a house, a yard, more than we had. I know from first hand experience that it physically hurts when you can't make that happen. If not for the help of my friends and my family I would not have come as far as I have in the past few years. I also know that because of the struggles we've had I appreciate where I live and what I have. I can't say I've gotten it all on my own because like I said, I have amazing family and friends that have helped me along the way, but I can say that hard work does pay off and the struggles are worth it.

What mostly upsets me about this article is that they seem to be talking shit about the section 8 program. The very program that is willing to pay over $1200 a month in rent for a family of four. No, the program isn't perfect. Yes, you would think more landlords would take advantage of this program.

I'm here to tell you that the section 8 waiting list in Washington County is eight years long. If you lose your voucher because you are not willing to take "just anything" then hopefully the person that gets the voucher will be a little more grateful. Keep in mind "just anything" must meet the standard of the county, and the standard is not the easiest to meet.

There you go... just my two cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment