Saturday, September 10, 2011

Tribute to 9/11

When I heard the news of the terrorist attack on the World Trade Center in New York City I was three years out of the Army and living with my mother in Gresham, Oregon. My first thought was that it was some kind of sick joke; the radio station I listened to at the time was big on playing practical jokes-often times highly inappropriate, sick jokes. I turned on the television and, like the rest of the world, was shocked and apalled by what I saw.

My first thoughts were for the people in the buildings and the planes, of course. My second thoughts were thoughts of concern for the rescue workers. My third thought, and it took me about a  minute to get here, was concern about the fallout of this terrorist attack. Being just a few years out of the Army I had a lot of friends, close friends who I considered (and still do) my family, that were still serving. I knew it was a matter of time before my loved ones were caught up in this mess. Realistically, they were caught up the second the attack happened and it was a matter of time before some of them, maybe all of them, were shipped off to foreign lands to help bring justice for these heinous acts of violence.

I was glued to the television and when I wasn't watching the coverage I was trying to get a sense of what was to come from one of my best friends who happened to be working security for General Tommy Franks, the U.S. general leading the attack on the Taliban in Afghanistan in response to the September 11 attacks on the World Trade Center and The Pentagon in 2001. He also led the 2003 invasion of Iraq and the overthrow of Saddam Hussein.

I was in the Army for seven years and never did I have to deploy or face any kind of combat. After the 9/11 attacks happened I was full of relief that I could sit in my comfortable home, holding my perfect child and filled with guilt that so many people I loved would have to go fight for my right to be where I was at that moment. I felt like I should be there, standing beside my brothers and sisters and doing what I could to show this great nation the love and respect it deserves. I know now that I was exactly where I was supposed to be and there is a reason for everything.

In the past 10 years most of the friends I made while in the Army that were still serving at the time of the attacks have deployed at least once, the friend mentioned above has deployed four times-twice to Iraq and twice to Afganistan. I have heard very few first hand accounts of what's going on over there, just enough to know that I was and am in the right place for me. The amount of strength and courage it takes to deploy to a foreign land and face an enemy you can't always see... Well, I can't even imagine what that is like.

I just want to thank all the men and women who have served and still serve, those who have signed up to fight since the attacks-knowing they will have to face this enemy, the victims, families and loved ones of the World Trade Center attacks and the families that support their soldiers for months and years at a time. My heart also goes out to the people of the world that will be judged for years to come because they are Muslim or they happen to be from Iraq or Afghanistan, and US citizens that happen to be of Middle Eastern decent that will be judged simply because of their heritage.

I hope this war will come to an end soon and the survivors and the soldiers/sailors/airmen will know that their service has not been for nothing. No matter what your religious beliefs, political stance or feelings on this war, let us all shower love upon those that were and are directly affected by this war.

Much love.

No comments:

Post a Comment