Wednesday, April 13, 2011

30 Day Blog Challenge (Day 11)

A photo of your family

I have family all over the United States. I have Mom's family, Dad's family, my military family and the friends that have been around long enough, and who are cool enough, to have made the cut as family. I can't write about them all, it would take a lot more time than I have and I would undoubtedly forget someone.

Here is a picture of my local family, the family that God gave me and I'm lucky enough to have on hand as my support system.

On your left, you're seeing my sister-in-law, my brother and their three boys. I don't know what I do without these people! First of all, my brother married a "Rose"-you know she's got to be fabulous with a name like that! Brian and Rose are two of the nicest people I know and I count Rose among my best friends. I'm grateful that my brother found a "good one" and held on tight! My brother... what can I say about him? Anyone who grew up with us can tell you that we were pretty typical siblings. We fought like crazy (although maybe more violently than most) but in true sibling fashion, we would defend each other against anyone. "I can call my brother names, but you better not"! After I left home and had been gone for a couple of years I came home and was overwhelmed at how much I had missed him. I can't even tell you how proud I am of my brother; he's a great dad, a fabulous husband and the best brother I could ask for. He is a great uncle to DJ and he even loves my dogs! My brother has been blessed with five children, the three here are Brian and Rose's three boys (ages 6, 10 and 12). These are three of the sweetest and most ornery (alternately) boys I know. They are the closest thing to siblings that DJ has on my side of the family and most of the time they act like brothers and sister. This makes me happy. Just as my brother and I did, they sometimes fight (mostly DJ and the 12-year-old nephew) and they also stick up for each other. (He was sent home from school one day for fighting with a boy who made her cry). I love these boys and I'm so thankful to have them in our lives.

Next up: My mama! I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'm 37-years-old and my mother is still taking care of me. Along with Brian and Rose, my mother has made it possible for me to go to school while working full time, go on several child free vacations and to know that I can leave DJ in the capable hands of someone that loves her when I have things going on that take me away from home. My mother has several health challenges that would have most people saying "f-it, I give up", my mother continues to push forward and do whatever she can to help her family. My mother was told that she would be in a wheelchair, due to severe arthritis in her back and her feet, by the time she was 40. She's 63 and is giving the wheelchair the finger!

Finally, my sweet DJ. The light of my life and the reason I get up every morning. This child is, hands down, the best thing that ever happened to me! Without DJ I would not be the peson I am.

This is my family. I love you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment